UPS HOME  


      FAQ List  

  General Info
  New Employees
  Direct Deposit
  Empl Verification
      -- Form I-9
  Yearend Taxes
  Common Terms

    Valid Documents For Form I-9

How do I complete Form I-9?

Fill out and sign Section 1 of the I-9 form by the first day of employment and submit it with valid identification documents to your Home Department Coordinator as soon as possible, but by no later than the 3rd business day. The Home Department Coordinator will complete the rest of the form. Valid documents for proof of identification and of employment eligibility are categorized into 3 lists.
You may submit originals of either:

  • one document from List A
  • one document from List B and one document from List C.

Only original documents are valid.

NOTE: The lists of acceptable documents included on the Federal Form I-9 are out-of-date. The current lists of acceptable documents for are noted below:

List A
Bring one document to establish Identity and Employment Eligibility
  • U.S. Passport (Unexpired or expired)
  • Unexpired foreign Passport with I-551 Stamp or attached INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (INS Form I-151 or I-551)
  • Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B)

List B
Bring one document to establish Identity
  AND   List C
Bring one document to establish Employment Eligibility
  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above, valid documents include:
  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record
  • U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American Tribal document
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization document issued by the INS (other than those listed under List A)


      Replacement Documents

  • Applications for replacement documents (if the original has been lost or stolen) are acceptable. You must present a receipt as proof that the application was made, and you must present the actual replacement document within 90 days.
  • If you apply for a replacement Social Security Card via the internet, please make a printout of the application form.

      Work Visas

  • Applications for extension of work authorization documents from the INS are not acceptable. If your work authorization has expired, you may not work until you have received approval.
  • If you are on a visa and have applied for an extension of the same visa type, you may work but must show proof of the application from the Office of International Services.
  • If you are on a visa which has expired, and have applied for a different category of visa, you may not work until you have received approval.


Last Modified:
FAQ   ·   Forms   ·   Schedules   ·   News   ·   Contact   ·   Links
  UPS Home USC Web